Employer of Choice
Recruiting quality staff is one of the common difficulties we hear in the Wimmera. Qualified people in large tend to migrate to larger centres where there are more opportunities, higher salaries and a perceived higher quality of life.
So what can employers do to attract quality applicants?
Well, an ‘Employer of Choice’ is any company that offers a number of elements and benefits that are encompassed into their business practices that benefit their employees.
Job seekers look at the following four categories when they consider where they will work: Company, Leadership, Job & Rewards. Not being able to offer the highest salary can be offset by being strong in other areas such as training opportunities, strong mentoring programs, flexible work arrangements etc.
Through subtle marketing of your tangible and intangible staff offerings you may find potential applicants coming to you rather than you having to invest heavily in finding talent.
Below is a list of possible benefits that you could incorporate into your business:
- Challenging/engaging work
- Reputation for treating employees well
- Training and skills development
- Fun, positive and vibrant work environment
- Career advancement and progression
- Attractive salary
- Performance rewards and recognition
- Work/life balance – flexible work arrangements
- Relevant employer funded training and skills development
- Bonus system or profit share
- Variety of leave entitlements
- Subsidized health cover
- Subsidized car parking
- Above average employer contribution to superannuation
- Self serve facilities – coffee machine, vending machine etc
- Relaxed policies on dress code/casual days
- Staff loyalty cards or discount programs
- Onsite fitness or subsidized fitness program
- Mentor or coaching program
- Job satisfaction
- Corporate values
- Do something meaningful
(List courtesy of RobNixon)
Richard Kemp – Watts Price Accountants
The advice provided on this Article is general advice only. It has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs.