Managing Workplace Grievances
Let me share some insight on managing grievances in the workplace or in business.
- Decide whether the matter is material or not. If it is, aim to resolve it in a timely fashion.
- Preferably don’t act impulsively on your concerns take a little time to consider the issue in more detail.
- Where possible resolve the issue that day. Don’t take your work issues home as this can affect your family and your sleep.
- On a blank piece of paper jot down your issue, divide the paper in half; on one side list all the points that support your view, on the other any possible alternative arguments.
- Develop a clear strategy on how you would like to see the issue resolved and how you will need to communicate this message. Try to avoid using emails – emails can disguise your tone and intension and can be easily misinterpreted.
- Get a second, third or fourth opinion of people you trust that will give you an honest, balanced view.
- Keep to the facts and never make it personal! (Do not be slanderous)!
- When you are ready be prepared to listen and compromise. The best outcomes occur when both parties benefit in some way.
Richard Kemp – Watts Price Accountants
The advice provided on this Article is general advice only. It has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs.